Ogun community demands king after 15 years of vacant stool
The people of Itele community in Ado Odo/Ota Local Government Area of Ogun on Wednesday besieged the Governor’s Office in Abeokuta, demanding the appointment and installation of a new traditional ruler in the town.
The residents, led in protest by their Baales (village heads) and other community leaders, said that the absence of a monarch for nearly two decades had impacted negatively on the development of the community.
According to the protesters, the ancient town has been without a monarch after the late traditional ruler passed on over 15 years ago.
Some of the inscriptions on their placards are: “Itele people are peace loving”; “No Ademola, No King” and “A town without a king is a ghost town”.
Others are, “Itele people deserve a king” and “Please, approve our king as nominated by all the kingmakers and family”.
Speaking on behalf of the community, one of the Baales in Itele-Ota, Chief Oluyemi Onifade, told newsmen that the kingmakers recently elected Prince Ademola Asorota as the new king.
He, however, said that government had been foot-dragging on his ratification and subsequent installation.
He alleged that some groups of land grabbers, allegedly positioning one of them as the new king, had plotted to thwart the process.
Onifade urged the government to speed up the process, warning that any manipulation against the people’s wish would plunge the town into crisis.
“Ademola Asorota is an indigene of Itele from Iliwo in Itele. He is never an outsider. He is never an outcast.
“What we are asking the government to do is to hasten the process.
“Already, the process is ongoing, but please, fasten the process so that we can have an Oba in Itele; because it has drawn the town backwards to the extent that no meaningful development is taking place in Itele.
“We don’t want chaos; we don’t want crisis in Itele,” he submitted.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the protesters were addressed on behalf of the state government by Adesoji Adewuyi, Director of Chieftaincy Affairs at the state Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs.
- 4m doses of COVID vaccine expected in Nigeria on Tuesday– PTF ChairmanBashir Ahmad, media aide to President Muhamadu Buhari, confirmed the development in a post on his Twitter handle, adding that the shipment expected will contain doses of the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine.
- #US report: Saudi crown prince approved Khashoggi’s killingA declassified assessment by the office of the director of national intelligence (ODNI) in the United States (US) has linked Mohammed bin Salman, Saudi Arabia’s crown prince, to the death … Continue Reading #US report: Saudi crown prince approved Khashoggi’s killing
- Schoolgirls abduction: Zamfara govt replies APCThe Zamfara State government has declared that the state APC caretaker committee chairman, Hon. Lawal Liman Kaura should be mindful of his utterances, saying that merciless killings in the state … Continue Reading Schoolgirls abduction: Zamfara govt replies APC
- Biden Urges US Senate To Act Quickly On $1.9 Trillion COVID-19 Relief PackagePresident Joe Biden on Saturday welcomed the overnight passage by the US House of Representatives of an enormous, $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief package, saying it moves the country closer to full Covid-19 … Continue Reading Biden Urges US Senate To Act Quickly On $1.9 Trillion COVID-19 Relief Package
- 2 children killed, 30 injured in Syria fire outbreakTwo Syrian children and a woman died Saturday and around 30 people were in hospital after a fire at the Al-Hol displacement camp in northeastern Syria, a local official said. … Continue Reading 2 children killed, 30 injured in Syria fire outbreak
He admitted that the selection process, which had started on Itele stool, had been stalled by litigation.
According to Adewuyi, the ministry has transferred the matter to the Ministry of Justice for legal advice before the government can take a final decision.
He, however, assured the protesters of government’s transparent process to avoid crisis in the community.
Akewusolaf is an online Publication. I blog about News| Sports| Politics| Entertainment| Celebrity Gist| Health Tips| Gossip| Personality| Current Affairs| Quotes