Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu
There are indications that the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, may not benefit from the provisions of the Nigeria Police Act 2020, assented by the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari, last week.
The new law prescribed among others, a four-year single tenure for the office of the Inspector-General of Police.
But Adamu, who is the 20th indigenous police boss, is expected to retire in January 2021 when he would clock 35 years in service.
According to a Wikipedia, the 59-year-old was born on September 17, 1961, and enlisted into the Nigeria Police Force in 1986, after graduating from the Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, with a bachelor’s degree in Geography.
Sources said Adamu, who was appointed in January 2019, would not benefit from the new law on account of age, having clocked the mandatory 35 years in service.
It was learnt that the fixed four-year single tenure would commence with the next IG who may be appointed by the President in February.
According to the new law, the person to be appointed as IG shall be a senior police officer not below the rank of an Assistant Inspector-General of Police with not less than a first degree or its equivalent in addition to professional and management experience.
Part III, section 4 read, “The IG shall not be removed from office except for gross misconduct, a gross violation of the constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria or demonstrated incapacity to effectively discharge the duties of the office.
“The IG shall only be removed from office by the President on the advice of the Police Council. The person appointed to the office of the IG shall hold office for four years subject to the provision of clause 18(8) of the bill,” section 5 stipulated.
- Lai Mohammed restates government’s plan to “regulate” social mediaThe minister insists social media has become a tool for dissemination of hate speech and fake news. The federal government has again restated its plan to regulate the use of … Continue Reading Lai Mohammed restates government’s plan to “regulate” social media
- Buhari welcomes foreign partnerships for national developmentThe Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), has expressed the commitment of his regime to foreign … Continue Reading Buhari welcomes foreign partnerships for national development
- ‘Nigerians youths on drugs’ Lawmaker Branded Her Face On Palliative Rice| See photosLagos Lawmaker, Mojisola Alli-Macaulay has reportedly branded her face on palliative rice meant for her constituency. The lawmaker representing Amuwo Odofin constituency 1 at the Lagos state House of Assembly, … Continue Reading ‘Nigerians youths on drugs’ Lawmaker Branded Her Face On Palliative Rice| See photos
- #EndSARS Killings: Why Lagosians must sack Sanwo-olu and the World must demand resignation from Army Chief, BurataiENDSARS KILLINGS: WHY LAGOSIANS MUST SACK GOVERNOR SANWOOLU AND THE WORLD MUST DEMAND THE RESIGNATION OF BURUTAI; NIGERIA’S ARMY CHIEF By Sanyaolu Juwon For 13 consecutive days, from the 7th … Continue Reading #EndSARS Killings: Why Lagosians must sack Sanwo-olu and the World must demand resignation from Army Chief, Buratai
- FG will make migration unattractive for doctors – MinisterThe Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, says the Federal Government will do everything possible to discourage doctors from leaving the country. He said the government will provide the necessary … Continue Reading FG will make migration unattractive for doctors – Minister
The law also resolved the controversy surrounding the recruitment of police constables, noting that the exercise will be handled by the police recruitment committee which shall consist of the IG as the chairman, all the serving DIGs, the Force Secretary and others.
When contacted for comment on the provisions of the law relating to constables recruitment, the Commissioner in charge of Media, Police Service Commission, Mr Austin Braimo, said, “I can’t comment until after our meeting where we would discuss the provisions of the law,” he said.
Akewusolaf is an online Publication. I blog about News| Sports| Politics| Entertainment| Celebrity Gist| Health Tips| Gossip| Personality| Current Affairs| Quotes