Ali Ndume, senator representing Borno south, has asked his lawyers to begin the process for him to withdraw as the surety of Abdulrasheed Maina, former chairman of the Pension Reform Task Team (PRTT).
Ndume had stood surety for Maina who is standing trial at a federal high court in Abuja for alleged money laundering to the tune of N2 billion.
Maina, however, jumped bail, went into hiding in September and subsequently left the country.
The court remanded Ndume in prison when Maina refused to appear in court.
The senator was granted bail five days after on the grounds that he has a record of “good behaviour”
Maina was later arrested in Niger Republic and extradited to Nigeria.
On Friday, the court ordered that Maina be remanded at Kuje correctional centre until the end of his trial.
Speaking with journalists in Abuja later in the day, Ndume commended the police for arresting Maina.
He said he decided to withdraw as Maina’s surety because he is not trustworthy.
“I commend the Nigeria Police Force for executing the bench warrant issued on Maina by the federal high court in Abuja,” Ndume said.
“This has shown that the NPF is not a write-off. They are professionals under the able leadership of the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu.
“With the successful arrest, extradition and subsequent remand of Maina at the Kuje Correctional Centre, I will proceed to direct my legal team to begin the process of withdrawing my suretyship for Maina with immediate effect because his action has shown that he is not trustworthy.”
- Despite threats, Nigeria safer under Buhari – Lai MohammedDespite rising security challenges facing the nation, Nigeria is still safer under President Muhammadu Buhari than what he met on assumption of office in 2015, Information Minister, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, … Continue Reading Despite threats, Nigeria safer under Buhari – Lai Mohammed
- FG MSME Survival Fund: Payroll Support Scheme To Be ExtendedPortal to be reopened for 7 days for states yet to meet quota The Steering Committee of the MSME Survival Fund and the Guaranteed Offtake Scheme Chaired by the Hon … Continue Reading FG MSME Survival Fund: Payroll Support Scheme To Be Extended
- I Detest Buhari Style Of Leadership —says Oby EzekweziliFormer Nigeria Minister for Education, Madam Obiageli Ezekwezili has said she detest the leadership style of President Muhammad Buhari. According to 57-year-old Oby, she didn’t have any personal hatred towards … Continue Reading I Detest Buhari Style Of Leadership —says Oby Ezekwezili
- 1 billion monthly security vote to Oyo Gov is meaningless – SPN tackles Makinde over insecurityThe Oyo State chapter of Socialist Party of Nigeria (SPN) has described the N1 billion security vote given to Governor Seyi Makinde monthly as meaningless. SPN alleged that the rising … Continue Reading 1 billion monthly security vote to Oyo Gov is meaningless – SPN tackles Makinde over insecurity
- Biden To Reinstate COVID-19 Travel BanPresident Joe Biden will re-impose a Covid-19 travel ban on most non-US citizens who have been in Britain, Brazil, Ireland and much of Europe, a White House official said Sunday, as the new … Continue Reading Biden To Reinstate COVID-19 Travel Ban
Akewusolaf is an online Publication. I blog about News| Sports| Politics| Entertainment| Celebrity Gist| Health Tips| Gossip| Personality| Current Affairs| Quotes