Manchester United gave the West Ham supporters the second-half show they did not want to see as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men won 3-1 in the first Premier League match with fans inside the stadium since March.
A crowd of 2,000 Hammers fans saw their side take a deserved first-half lead through Tomas Soucek at the London Stadium.
But United kicked off a huge week with a much-needed win as three goals in 13 minutes from Paul Pogba, Mason Greenwood and Marcus Rashford moved the Red Devils up to fourth and within two points of the Premier League leaders.
“It’s something everyone knows the game has missed,” said Rashford on the return of fans. “It’s just a great feeling to have some fans back, 2,000 is much better than nothing.”
United have now come from behind to win in all five away league games this season.
“We need to stop doing that. If we keep more clean sheets we will definitely win more games. It is good that we showed spirit, but ideally we don’t want to be conceding,” added Rashford, who was summoned from the bench at half-time, along with Bruno Fernandes to turn the game in United’s favour.
Solskjaer’s side need a point when they travel to RB Leipzig on Tuesday to secure a place in the Champions League last 16 before hosting Manchester City next weekend.
However, the manager’s plan to give Fernandes and Rashford a rest before the trip to Germany backfired as United were lucky to stay in the game before the break.
“Football is ups and downs,” said Solskjaer. “Poor first half. In the second half of course the goal changes the mood, the first one. Great goal by Paul, then Mason’s goal is special.
“I am very, very pleased with the performance. Last week we were 2-0 down at Southampton so this was a step forward, we were only one down!”
Haller slip costly
Jarrod Bowen had a goal ruled out for offside before he teed up Pablo Fornals to head a great chance into the side-netting.
Fornals came even closer moments later when the Spaniard stabbed a shot off the post.
But the goal West Ham deserved came seven minutes before the break when Soucek turned home Declan Rice’s flick-on from a corner at the back post.
Sebastien Haller should have doubled the lead for David Moyes’s men, but the Ivorian slipped with the goal at his mercy after rounding Dean Henderson, who was deputising for the injured David de Gea.
Fernandes and Rashford were summoned at the break and United were a different side in the second half.
Pogba produced the flash of brilliance he is capable of but has so rarely shown in a United shirt to kickstart the comeback as he curled home a long-range shot from Fernandes’s pass.
West Ham boss David Moyes was furious on the touchline as he believed the ball had gone out of play from Henderson’s punt into Fernandes’s path, but VAR could find no conclusive proof to disallow the goal.
Three minutes later, the visitors led as Alex Telles’s cross was brilliantly controlled and thrashed into the net by Greenwood for his first Premier League goal of the season.
United was now in full flow as they could counter-attack into acres of space behind the Hammers’ defence.
Rashford had a sighter as he struck the post from a brilliant Fernandes through ball.
But the England international was clinical with a second chance as this time Mata unlocked the West Ham defence and Rashford coolly lifted the ball over the advancing Lukasz Fabianski 12 minutes from time.
- Super Falcons Captain Asisat Oshoala Loses StepmumThe Barcelona forward announced the news on her Instagram page with an emotional piece on Instagram on Sunday night.
- Messi facing four-match ban over red card as Barcelona lose Spanish Super Cup finalBarcelona captain, Lionel Messi, could be banned for up to four matches after receiving the first red card of his career in their 3-2 defeat to Athletic Bilbao in Sunday’s Spanish Supercopa … Continue Reading Messi facing four-match ban over red card as Barcelona lose Spanish Super Cup final
- COVID19: Australia May Not Open Borders in 2021, Even With VaccinesAustralia may not fully reopen its international borders this year even if most of the population is vaccinated against coronavirus, the head of its health department said on Monday, as … Continue Reading COVID19: Australia May Not Open Borders in 2021, Even With Vaccines
- Biden’s team calls for release of Russian activist NavalnyThe team of U.S. President-elect Joe Biden on Sunday called for the release of Russian dissident Alexei Navalny after he was detained upon arrival at a Moscow airport, as the … Continue Reading Biden’s team calls for release of Russian activist Navalny
- Police Officer Arrested While Robbing Residents In Port HarcourtA police identity card was found on Odege with three different handsets belonging to their victims and one locally made Bareta pistol. A Police Sergeant, Ibrahim Odege, attached to the … Continue Reading Police Officer Arrested While Robbing Residents In Port Harcourt
Akewusolaf is an online Publication. I blog about News| Sports| Politics| Entertainment| Celebrity Gist| Health Tips| Gossip| Personality| Current Affairs| Quotes