President Muhammad Buhari has said the closure of Nigeria land borders was to curb the smuggling of arms and drugs into the country.
The President disclosed this while giving an outcome of the meeting held with the State Governors in Aso Rock earlier today.
“In my meeting with State Governors today I explained that the closure of Nigeria’s land borders was partly an attempt to control the smuggling in of weapons & drugs. Now that the message has sunk in with our neighbours,we’re looking into reopening the borders as soon as possible.”
“We are investing heavily in weapons and equipment for our military. They have already received armoured cars and other equipment, and aircraft, and more will come in. We will continue to give them all the support they need to fight criminals. We must and will secure Nigeria.”
“Intelligence-gathering is also very critical to ensuring lasting security in Nigeria. In this regard, everyone has a role to play, in addition to the security agencies: Governors, traditional rulers, community leaders, citizens. We must all work to boost intelligence-gathering.”
- Olympics: Disqualified Nigerian athletes protest on the street of TokyoNigerian athletes staged a protest in Tokyo after 10 of them were disqualified from taking part in the track and field events of the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games. The protesting … Continue Reading Olympics: Disqualified Nigerian athletes protest on the street of Tokyo
- #BBNaija: Housemates party hard after winning first taskThis year’s season of Big Brother Naija has started on a smooth note as the housemates won their first task. The first task had the housemates portraying the culture of … Continue Reading #BBNaija: Housemates party hard after winning first task
- Singer Davido suspends his aides, IsrealNigerian singer, Davido, has suspended his personal logistics manger, Isreal Afeare, following his recent comments on social media. According to a source, the decision was taken after Isreal recently went … Continue Reading Singer Davido suspends his aides, Isreal
- Ben White joins Arsenal from Brighton for £50mArsenal have signed England defender Ben White from Brighton for £50m. The 23-year-old, who was a late call-up to Gareth Southgate’s England Euro 2020 squad, has agreed a long-term contract … Continue Reading Ben White joins Arsenal from Brighton for £50m
- Police arrest five men for allegedly raping 17-year old boy in KatsinaThe police also arrested the wife of a wanted suspected bandit