Donald Trump on Wednesday, Dec 9, asked the US Supreme Court to let him join a long-shot lawsuit by Texas seeking to overturn his election loss by throwing out the voting results in four states.
The litigation also drew support from 17 other states.
In a court filing, Trump asked to intervene in the Texas lawsuit, the latest litigation to try to undo Democratic President-elect Joe Biden’s victory in the Nov. 3 election.
In a separate brief, lawyers for 17 states led by Missouri’s Republican Attorney General Eric Schmitt also urged the nine justices to hear the case.
In addition to Missouri, the states joining Texas were: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Indiana, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah and West Virginia.
All of the states were represented by Republican officials in the filing. All but three of the states have Republican governors.
Previous efforts in the courts on behalf of Trump challenging the election results so far have failed.
The lawsuit, announced on Tuesday December 8, by the Republican attorney general of Texas Ken Paxton, targeted four states that Trump lost to Biden after winning them in the 2016 election. Trump has falsely claimed he won re-election and has made allegations of widespread voting fraud. Election officials at the state level have said they have found no evidence of such fraud.
Writing on Twitter earlier Wednesday December 9, Trump said, “We will be INTERVENING in the Texas (plus many other states) case. This is the big one. Our Country needs a victory!”
Election law experts have said the Texas lawsuit stands little chance of success and lacks legal merit.
- Police: Woman tracked down brother’s suspected killer, then murdered himA Kansas City woman is charged with second-degree murder after police say she tracked down the man suspected of murdering her teenage brother last week and killed him. Police said … Continue Reading Police: Woman tracked down brother’s suspected killer, then murdered him
- BREAKING: Protest As Delta Policemen Kill Mother, Child While Chasing Yahoo BoysSaharaReporters learnt that the woman and her daughter were crushed by the vehicle used by the policemen who drove recklessly in pursuit of the fraudsters, otherwise known as Yahoo boys. … Continue Reading BREAKING: Protest As Delta Policemen Kill Mother, Child While Chasing Yahoo Boys
- BREAKING: FEC Approves new retirement age for teachersThe Federal Executive Council (FEC) has approved a bill extending the retirement age for teachers in the country from 60 years to 65 years. The FEC, during its first meeting … Continue Reading BREAKING: FEC Approves new retirement age for teachers
- Man Arrested For defrauding people by impersonating as Superintendent of Police, EFCC operativeThe Federal Capital Territory Police Command (FCT) have arrested a notorious fraudster, Mohammed Abdulrahman, who has been defrauding unsuspecting members of the public by impersonating as a Superintendent of Police … Continue Reading Man Arrested For defrauding people by impersonating as Superintendent of Police, EFCC operative
- Herders: Garba Shehu’s statement threatens national unity – Ondo govtThe government of Ondo State on Wednesday described the statement issued by the Senior Special Adviser to the President on Media, Garba Shehu on the herdsmen situation in Ondo State … Continue Reading Herders: Garba Shehu’s statement threatens national unity – Ondo govt
Akewusolaf is an online Publication. I blog about News| Sports| Politics| Entertainment| Celebrity Gist| Health Tips| Gossip| Personality| Current Affairs| Quotes