Former Governor of Plateau state, Joshua Dariye has begged the Supreme court to reduce his 10-year jail sentence.
Dariye who was formerly handed a 14-year jail sentence by a federal high court in 2018 after being found guilty of diverting N1.126 billion from Plateau government’s ecological fund, had his prison sentence reduced to 10 years after he appealed his conviction.
The former Governor has now approached the Supreme Court to void his conviction. Kanu Agabi, Dariye’s counsel who spoke on his behalf in court stated that his conviction was speculative.
Agabi urged the court to show mercy as 10 years is more than a lifetime for some people.
“Allow this appeal and set aside the conviction of the appellant.
“Here is a man sentenced to 10 years imprisonment. 10 years is more than a lifetime for some people. You should show mercy.
“Reduce the sentence substantially, I beg you.”
EFCC’s counsel, Rotimi Jacobs however kicked against the appeal. He said;
“We urge your lordships to dismiss this appeal and uphold the concurrent findings of the two lower courts.
“As for the sentence passed, it has been reduced to 10 years. That he is a public servant does not mean he should go free.”
The five-man panel of the Supreme Court led by Mary Odili, fixed March 21, 2021 to give its ruling on the case.
Recommended for you:
- Lagos Govt Extends Work-From-Home Directive As COVID-19 Surges OnFollowing the increase in the number of recorded cases of coronavirus in Lagos State, Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu has extended the work-from-home directive to all state public servants on Grade Levels … Continue Reading Lagos Govt Extends Work-From-Home Directive As COVID-19 Surges On
- Security operatives kill several bandits in Kaduna villageSecurity operatives on Saturday killed several bandits in Farin Ruwa and Kuduru areas of Birnin Gwari LGA of Kaduna State. This was contained in a statement by Mr. Samuel Aruwan, … Continue Reading Security operatives kill several bandits in Kaduna village
- Trump ally with alarming ‘martial law’ notes captured on camera at White HouseOn Friday, One of the closest allies of US President Donald Trump was photographed before entering the West Wing at the White House; clutching a memo which appeared to push … Continue Reading Trump ally with alarming ‘martial law’ notes captured on camera at White House
- Hauwa Adam, FCMB MD’s wife, debunks separation rumoursHauwa Adam Nuru, wife of Adam Nuru, managing director of First City Monument Bank (FCMB), says reports that she moved out of her matrimonial home are false. Adam Nuru made … Continue Reading Hauwa Adam, FCMB MD’s wife, debunks separation rumours
- Trump’s Former Physician Dies At 73President Donald Trump’s former personal doctor — who claimed Trump had dictated a letter insisting he would be the “healthiest” president ever — has died, reports said Thursday. Harold Bornstein … Continue Reading Trump’s Former Physician Dies At 73
- Golden Eaglets Qualify For WAFU Final, Seal U-17 AFCON SpotNigeria’s Golden Eaglets have qualified for the final of the WAFU U-17 tournament in Lome, Togo, following a 1-0 win over Group A winners Burkina Faso at the Stade Kegue. … Continue Reading Golden Eaglets Qualify For WAFU Final, Seal U-17 AFCON Spot
- US Supreme Court Approves Last Federal Execution Of Trump’s EraDustin Higgs, a 48-year-old black man, will receive a lethal injection in the federal penitentiary in Terre-Haute in Indiana, after the final court rejected a stay of execution.
- Armed Forces Day: Buhari is a failure – Nnamdi Kanu mocks President as pigeons refuse to flyNnamdi Kanu, leader of the Indigenous People of Biafra has described President Muhammadu Buhari as a failure. Kanu was reacting to the incident of pigeons refusing to fly after the … Continue Reading Armed Forces Day: Buhari is a failure – Nnamdi Kanu mocks President as pigeons refuse to fly
Akewusolaf is an online Publication. I blog about News| Sports| Politics| Entertainment| Celebrity Gist| Health Tips| Gossip| Personality| Current Affairs| Quotes