German and Belgium customs authorities have seized a record of more than 23 tonnes of cocaine that was destined for the Netherlands worth an estimated street sales value of between €1.5bn and €3.5bn ($1.8bn and$4.2b)
German officials discovered 16 tonnes in five shipping containers that had arrived in the port of Hamburg from Paraguay earlier this month. While police in the Netherlands were notified and a further 7.2 tonnes of cocaine was seized at the Belgian port of Antwerp.
German customs say a 28-year-old man suspected of involvement in the trafficking of the drugs has been arrested in the Netherlands by Dutch police.
The two raids, which took place earlier this month, resulted in the seizure of an “enormous amount of cocaine”, customs officials said on Thursday
In Antwerp, the drug was hidden in a container filled with wooden blocks from Panama while the one found in the German city of Hamburg was concealed in tins of wall filler, which had entered Europe on a container ship from Paraguay.
Officials say they ordered the containers to be emptied after noticing “clear irregularities” with some of the contents – tin cans that were meant to be filled with putty.
“Beyond a layer of genuine goods, packed just behind the container door, numerous tin cans were in fact filled with other goods,” officials said.
Recommended for you:
- Man confess raping 10-year-old in Kwara as victim’s family wants no-caseThe Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Kwara State Command, has announced the arrest of a suspected rapist, Muhammadu Mailemu. The Public Relations Officer, Babawale Afolabi, in a statement … Continue Reading Man confess raping 10-year-old in Kwara as victim’s family wants no-case
- Chelsea owner, Abramovich set to pull the club out of European Super LeagueChelsea owner, Roman Abramovich, has taken steps to pull the club out of the proposed European Super League. Forbes reports that Abramovich has taken the decision based on the negative … Continue Reading Chelsea owner, Abramovich set to pull the club out of European Super League
- Insecurity: Nigeria will not be surrender to terrorists – SGF, Boss MustaphaThe Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Mr Boss Mustapha, has vowed that Nigeria will not be surrendered to terrorists causing havocs in some parts of the country. … Continue Reading Insecurity: Nigeria will not be surrender to terrorists – SGF, Boss Mustapha
- EFCC Arrests 14 Suspected Internet Fraudsters in LagosOperatives of the Lagos Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Saturday, April 17, 2021, siad it arrested 14 suspected internet fraudsters at Westwood Estate, Badore, Ajah Lagos. … Continue Reading EFCC Arrests 14 Suspected Internet Fraudsters in Lagos
- Delta: Two kidnappers arrested, four victims rescued by PoliceTwo of the victims were returning to their house when the kidnappers blocked their unregistered Mercedes GLK car and took them into a bush.
Investigators then ordered the containers to be unloaded, and found cocaine stashed away in more than 1,700 tins.
“This is the largest amount of cocaine ever seized in Europe and one of the largest single seizures worldwide,” German customs said, referring to the Hamburg haul alone.
“We are estimating a street sales value of between €1.5bn and €3.5bn ($1.8bn and $4.2bn) for the 16 tonnes,” Hamburg customs official Rene Matschke told AFP news agency.
Hamburg is Europe’s third biggest port, and the largest in Germany.
High-purity cocaine can be cut up or divided, with different substances added to increase profits when sold on the street.
Akewusolaf is an online Publication. I blog about News| Sports| Politics| Entertainment| Celebrity Gist| Health Tips| Gossip| Personality| Current Affairs| Quotes