Kayode Fayemi, governor of Ekiti state, says those arrested in connection with the violence that marred the Ekiti east constituency 1 bye-election will be charged for murder on Monday.
On Saturday, violence broke out during the bye-election, resulting in the loss of lives.
Subsequently, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) suspended the exercise.
The Ekiti police command, on Sunday, said three persons have been arrested in connection to the shooting.
During a condolence visit to Omuo Ekiti on Sunday, Fayemi said the perpetrators of the violence will be promptly punished to serve as a deterrent to others.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU:
- 2023: Buhari’s successor should come from South East – Edwin Clark
- 3 INEC officers dies in auto crash in Borno
- Official: Tottenham sacks Jose Mourinho, named Ryan Mason as new coach
- We spend N2.9bn on Ramadan welfare – Zamfara govt reveal
- Hoodlums set Anambra ‘police zonal headquarters’ ablaze
“We may not be able to bring back the dead but every perpetrator will be dealt with to serve as a deterrent to others,” Fayemi said.
“After I spoke with Senator Olujimi on Saturday, I called the commissioner of poice and instructed him to do everything possible to arrest the perpetrators.
“I’m happy to inform you that as I arrived the state today, Sunday, the CP said all the culprits had been arrested and on Monday, they shall be charged for murder.”
According to NAN, the governor also visited the residence of Abiodun Olujimi, senator representing Ekiti south senatorial district, who narrowly escaped the violence.
Fayemi also visited the palace of Noah Omonigbehin, Olomuo of Omuo Ekiti, as well as those who are receiving treatment in the hospital, owing to the injuries sustained in the violence.