Gunmen in the early hours of Monday set the correctional facility in Owerri, the Imo State capital, on fire.
SaharaReporters gathered that the gunmen struck the prison and freed an unconfirmed number of inmates and suspects. Heavy gunfire also rang through the area.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Ekiti: Police arrest 10 suspects over alleged rival cult clash
- Troops Arrest Boko Haram informant
- Before I escape Boko Haram’s den, many schoolgirls were pregnant – Victims
- Adobe, PDFs developer, Charles Geschke dies at age 81
- Sanwo-Olu Ignore Amotekun in Lagos, Says Neighborhood Watch Is Back By Law
Amnesty International said over the weekend that Owerri Correctional Centre had 2,156 inmates against its installed capacity of 548 people.
Pictures shared on the micro-blogging site Twitter showed heavy smokes and fire.
Akewusolaf is an online Publication. I blog about News| Sports| Politics| Entertainment| Celebrity Gist| Health Tips| Gossip| Personality| Current Affairs| Quotes