An eye witness account stated that the driver of the bus who was coming from the Ondo town axis and heading toward Akure lost control as a result of speeding and plunged into the river.
The witness further revealed that five of the passengers including a child were rescued and taken to the hospital by motorists and men of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC).
The witness added that some of the passengers lost their lives at the scene of the accident.
Mr Ahmed Hassan, Ondo State Sector Commander, Federal Road Safety Coprs (FRSC), confirmed the incident to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Sunday in Akure.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Attributes Of Successful People (1)
- ‘Your destruction is near, you have nowhere to hide’ – Buhari dare terrorists
- PDP consensus arrangement has suffers setback in South-East
- Former President, Goodluck Jonathan pays tribute to Colin Powell
- How bandits invade Sokoto market, killed Dozens
Hassan, however, stated that the number of casualties had yet to be ascertained.
He added that men of the command were still at the scene of the accident.
“Yes, there is an accident where a bus plunged into the Owena River and our men are still at the scene for rescue, but we cannot ascertain the number of people that died or survived for now,” he said.