One of the abducted students of Bethel Baptist High School, Damishi, Kaduna, has been released.
A total of 121 students were abducted when the bandits invaded the school on July 5.
Joseph Hayab, chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in the state, confirmed the release of the student on Monday.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Tottenham to fine Harry Kane for not showing up in Training
- We’ve been tracking Gov. Abiodun’s moneybag Bidemi Rufai since 2017 – FBI
- I declares war against wicked people, not Buhari – Pastor Bakare makes U-turn
He said the kidnappers called to say that they had released the boy, who was becoming “weak”.
“The kidnappers themselves called us today. I think they kidnapped some people somewhere and one of the persons was sick,” Hayab said.
“So, they now called us and said that one of the boys is weak and they will release him with that sick person to come back.
“The boy is yet to be with us but any moment from now, he is going to be with us. So, we have one of the boys out. We are praying that this will lead to more and more other children coming back.”
He said negotiations were still going on for the release of the other students, adding that the foodstuffs demanded by the bandits had been delivered to them.
“We are still negotiating with the bandits. We have given them the foodstuffs they demanded. We are trusting God and we are appealing to spirited Nigerians to help us put pressure on the government to do what is right,” he said.
“So, with the release of one of the students, now we have 120 students with the bandits.”
Also, Alhassan Adamu, the Emir of Kajuru who was abducted on Sunday, has regained his freedom.
Mohammad Jalige, spokesman of the Kaduna police command, confirmed the release of the emir.
The 85-year-old emir was abducted along with some members of his family.
Jalige, however, said he could not confirm if the other abducted family members of the emir were also released.
“The chief is back and he is currently in his palace as I speak with you,” the police spokesman said.
“I am not in a position to say whether other family members of the emir that were abducted were released too because we are yet to receive a comprehensive report from our DPO who is there.
“I will give you details as soon as we receive comprehensive reports from the DPO.”
The bandits had earlier demanded N200 million for the release of the emir.