Cristiano Ronaldo has equal Iker Casillas records of 177 matches in the UEFA champions league.
The forward’s return to the competition for Manchester United has even greater significance as he matches the mark of Iker Casillas.
Cristiano Ronaldo has chalked up yet another UEFA Champions League record after making his 177th appearance as Manchester United took on Young Boys in Switzerland, the start of his 19th season in the competition.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
- Attributes Of Successful People (1)
- ‘Your destruction is near, you have nowhere to hide’ – Buhari dare terrorists
- PDP consensus arrangement has suffers setback in South-East
Most Champions League appearances
177 Cristiano Ronaldo (2003–)
177 Iker Casillas (1999–2019)
151 Xavi Hernández (1998–2015)
149 Lionel Messi (2004–)
142 Raúl González (1995–2011)
141 Ryan Giggs (1993–2014)
Ronaldo has missed only four of his clubs’ UEFA Champions League games since the 2013/14 quarter-finals.Is Ronaldo the greatest Champions League player of all time?YesNo
Ronaldo’s vital Champions League statistics
19 Yellow cards
1 Red cards Watch all Cristiano Ronaldo’s Champions League goals
Most Champions League goals
135 Cristiano Ronaldo
120 Lionel Messi
73 Robert Lewandowski
71 Karim Benzema
71 Raúl González
56 Ruud van Nistelrooy
Ronaldo did not score until his 27th UEFA Champions League appearance, so his 135 goals have come in his 150 outings since.
1 Stuttgart 2-1 Man. United, 1 October 2003
An 18-year-old Ronaldo earned a penalty that allowed Van Nistelrooy to halve the deficit in a group stage defeat. United reached the last 16 before being ousted by Porto (José Mourinho’s touchline dash, anybody?).
50 Man. United 1-0 Arsenal, 29 April 2009
Ronaldo struck the bar as Sir Alex Ferguson’s side earned a semi-final first-leg lead. The Portuguese was unstoppable in the return, but Barcelona found a way in the final, the forward’s first.00:0000:00 Ronaldo: great Manchester United goals
100 Real Madrid 3-0 Dortmund, 2 April 2014
This one came in the midst of Ronaldo’s record-breaking 17-goal title-winning season and he duly scored for the eighth Champions League outing running to cap a quarter-final first-leg victory – it would prove decisive.
150 Real Madrid 1-3 Juventus, 11 April 2018
Juve looked to have pulled off a famous comeback from 3-0 down after the quarter-final opener. Ronaldo scored two and assisted one in that Turin encounter and duly popped up with a late, late penalty at home to snatch a 4-3 aggregate win.
Ronaldo’s other Champions League records
- Most goals in a UEFA Champions League season: 17 (2013/14)
- Most goals in UEFA Champions League knockout stages: 67
- Most UEFA Champions League penalties scored: 19
- Most UEFA Champions League final wins: 5
- Only player to score in three UEFA Champions League finals
- Only player to score in all six games in a UEFA Champions League group
- Only player to score in 11 straight UEFA Champions League games
- Only player to score ten goals against a single club in the UEFA Champions League: vs Juventus